11.21.2012

Attitude of Gratitude: Day 20

Have I got a good one for you today... We had a few things to do today and, not only did we get an early start to the day, it was also pretty rough.


In light of what happened this morning (don't worry, I'll get to it in a minute), I'm thankful that God watches over and protects us.

We were going about our morning routine as usual today. Well, we had one minor exception - Joe was home. It's rare for a weekday, but today was "ORG Day," also known as "Mandatory Fun That's Not So Fun Day." He was getting ready for that and we were just doing our thing. {I didn't go - too much to prep for!} Right as I was taking Charlotte to her room for a diaper change, Joe left. 

So there I am, changing her diaper, when I realize the trash can is pretty much overflowing. I leaned down like I've done a gazillion times to fuss with the trash and get it ready to go out. That's when I hear her moving around on the changing table. Whatevs. She's always moving these days. Then I heard something fall. Also not unusual as I've always got clothes, bibs or burp cloths lying up there. I look over to see what had fallen and that's when my heart stops...

I see my sweet baby girl on the floor. 

She fell.

From several feet up.

She landed on all fours.

Please, God. Oh, please, God let her be okay.

She started crying within seconds and I scooped her up off the floor. She was completely naked because we were mid diaper and clothes changing. All I cared about at that moment was that she was okay - but was she okay? I grabbed my phone and called Joe to come home... I was so, so scared. I just knew we were in for a trip to the ER. By the time he got back, she was mostly calm. He wasn't even out of our neighborhood when I called him. 

She's been fine ever since. No bumps or bruises. A little whiny and clingy, but I can live with that. Frankly, after her fall I'd rather her be attached to me all day anyway.

I'm still in awe that she landed on all fours, facing her crib. I know she rolled over onto her side on the changing table. She's done it before with me supervising. I honestly have no idea how she could've possibly landed that way... Unless someone guided her to that specific position so she wouldn't be hurt. Joe and I believe very firmly that it was God who made her land like she did. And I am so incredibly thankful for that.

I've been pretty much in shock all day. The image of her lying on the floor on all fours has been flashing through my mind all day. I don't think I've ever been so scared in all my life as I was in that moment. 

Thank You, thank You, God.

4 comments:

  1. Oh no! I can imagine how scared you were. But I'm glad she is okay!
    I'm following along from the wednesday walkabout.

    www.thislifesbeautifulmoments.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scary stuff!! Penny has fallen off our bed a couple times, another bed once, and out of the car onto her head. Geez I sound like a bad parent now huh? lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww those times are so scary. my first born fell off the sofa when he was 4 months old. and my poor little girl got sat on by a almost 2 yr old who weighs 30 lbs during a play date when she was 4 weeks old. so glad she was ok. thats crazy she landed on all fours. i didnt know that even could happen. i agree it has to be God who did it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, gosh. That's scary. I'm so glad God is their Protector when we can't always be!

    ReplyDelete