11.22.2011

Creations for Baby

Believe it or not, I've actually been doing a fair amount of crafting lately. I'm just glad that I finally feel like doing something again! I knew I felt awful during the first trimester, but I don't think I truly realized the effect it was having on my life. Thankfully that's over and I feel like being productive again!

A long, long time ago {okay, like a year} I bought some super cute fabric for a baby quilt. Joe was deployed, I was learning to sew...and I was a little bored. Not to mention I had baby fever. ;-) So, I ordered the fabric, had it sent to Melissa so she could be sweet and cut it for me {again, learning to sew}, she sent it to me and I laid it all out. Then it sat in a drawer...

Until I found out I was preggo! I suddenly had the urge to start on it. Imagine that. I started working on it again in September, I think, and I finally finished it this weekend! Yay me! It's a rag quilt similar to the ones I made for my mom and then for my nephew, Harry.

A little over halfway done...

All 6 rows sewn together!

The final product!!!

Baby Girl now has her first quilt. =) I know it's not super girly, but I still love it. And it'll definitely still go with the fabric for her bedding. Well, mostly anyway. 

A couple nights ago, I was going through a drawer and found some extra fabric I'd forgotten about. I actually bought it to do my very first project with, but that never worked out. It was supposed to be a flannel blanket for a baby shower gift. I cut it out, pinned it together and everything... And it's been sitting in that drawer since we moved in over a year ago. Whoops... 

Since baby is a girl, I figured I'd go ahead and make it for her/me. ;-) Unfortunately, my super-novice self did a horrible job cutting the fabric out so it was a little crooked. And my preggo self had no desire to correct that either. I sewed it all together and only ended up having one issue that was easily solved. It took maybe a half hour to do, and I think it turned out well. What do you think?

Side 1: super cute polka dots. Squee!

Side 2: hot pink plaid with lady bugs. =)
It makes my heart happy.


Now little miss Charlotte has 2 blankies and I am feeling like a pretty accomplished momma. =) I'm still working on a diaper clutch. And I'd like to make a few more burp cloths... Oh and I need to make another blanket with some minky fabric. I'll tell you the story behind that one later.

Maybe I'll get to work on those after I host Thanksgiving. Oh yes, it's going to be interesting for sure! Stay tuned! 

6 comments:

  1. Yay baby crafts! I think that's the majority of stuff I've sewn myself... lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you are feeling better again to do cute crafts like this! Love the rag blanket.. she's a lucky little girl already. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out so cute!! You make me want to learn to use my sewing machine. My Mom told me I just don't have enough patience for it! HA! Between a sewing machine and your Silhouette you are going to have one well dressed little girl :) Have you thought about making a changing pad to carry in your diaper bag? I bought a cute one from Etsy that I love and I know you could totally make one. It would be so much softer than the plastic ones you buy at the store too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They both look so great!! I'm so impressed with your sewing skills whenever I see something you've made. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the quilt! I actually love it most because it's not super girly. There will be PLENTY of girly things; it's nice to have a little variety :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the stuff you've made! I wish I could sew like that.

    ReplyDelete