10.25.2010

Almost Martha

I think it's safe to say that I've become quite the "Suzy Homemaker" lately. I've started sewing, I like to bake, I cook [occasionally], I decorate my house [well, attempts are made], and I keep it relatively clean. I'm sure most of you understand when I say that I would be more of a "Suzy Homemaker" if my husband were here. For me, all of my "want to" to keep the house clean and orderly goes out the window when he's gone. I mean, I'm the only one who sees my house on a regular basis so what does it matter?! At this point, I can almost understand the whole bachelor mentality. Stereotypically speaking, of course.

However, I've found myself spending a lot of time with this little guy recently:


I say "guy" because, well, his name is Brother. =) And together, we are creating what I hope will be something magnificent. I hope.

Any guesses? Shouldn't be too hard... ;-)

Considering it's my first big project, it may not turn out as well as the perfectionist in me would like. Until I learn to draw, cut and sew a straight line that little perfectionist better learn how to keep her mouth shut! As you know, I have several other projects planned for myself after I finish this one: a baby quilt, a cover for my Nook, possibly some drink cozies (found a super cute pattern in a magazine!), and who knows what else.

After I finished working on my project today, I decided it was about time I made some goodies to send to my husband. It's about package time again and I like to make him a little something to stick in there. Call me crazy. ;-) A few weeks ago, I found what seemed like a good recipe using an app on my phone. {Seriously, what would I do without my iPhone?!} It's a recipe for sugar cookies. I have two recipes (I think) for sugar cookies and both of them have about killed my poor hand mixer. So, I was searching for something easy, something I already had all the ingredients for and something that wouldn't kill my mixer. About 5 seconds later, I found it. *insert Allelujah chorus here*

Chewy Sugar Cookies
{no lie, that's their name}

Ingredients:

2 3/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder (I just realized I probably used a WHOLE tsp. Eh, they taste great anyway.)
1 cup softened butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
3-4 tbsp buttermilk (I used 2% milk and it was just fine.)
Sprinkles/colored sugar

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375.

In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda and baking powder. Set aside.

In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Gradually blend in dry ingredients. (If your mixer isn't a "heavy duty" mixer, add a little bit at a time and it won't hurt your mixer.) Add enough of the buttermilk to moisten the dough and make it soft, not wet. (This totally helps!)

Roll rounded teaspoons of dough into balls (Or use your Pampered Chef scoop! Best thing ever, I swear.) and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. With a brush or fingers, moisten the top of each cookie with remaining buttermilks and slightly flatten the top of each cookie. Sprinkle with raw sugar or sprinkles.

Bake for 8-10 minutes or until slightly golden. 

Easy peasy! 

Seriously, these are the BEST sugar cookies I've EVER made. I'm not even kidding you. Beware, though the cookies WILL spread on the sheet. It's been a while since I made sugar cookies even remotely close to these so I kinda forgot. Here's how mine turned out:

These are going to Joe...

And will be sent in one of these...

With a very tight seal.

Aaand these are mine... 
Mostly because they won't fit in the Pringles can.

Just when I was so close to being "Martha," I made Campbell's Broccoli and Cheese soup [out of a can] for dinner. Martha isn't allowed to do something like this, but I'm pretty sure "Suzy Homemaker" is. =) The woman's got a tough job, I tell ya!

I called the day "done" after a phone call from my hubby and good 'ole Netflix movie, The Duchess.

Hope y'all had a good weekend!

5 comments:

  1. If you're going to be quilting, you should invest in a rotary cutter, rulers and a mat. They can be expensive to buy all at once but if you get them one at a time using JoAnne's coupons it won't be so bad. You can also get the rulers as you need them. It makes cutting straight lines a breeze! Also for quilting to help you sew a straight line I love my 1/4 inch foot for my sewing machine! There's a little guide on the side to help you keep your stitches the recommended 1/4 inch. I love it and sew without it:) The quilt looks good...make sure you show us the finished project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I'm very impressed with the sewing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice idea with the pringles can...i may steal that idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Pringles can idea is a stroke of genius! I have always wondered how to get cookies sent somewhere without them falling apart!

    I'm really hoping to channel you this week and do some power scrapbooking, now that I'm going to be home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will join the fan club of Pringles can :-) What a great idea for shipping the cookies!!!

    Sewing is so much fun. I do some quilting occasionally as well as fix better half's ACU's and whatnot all the time. More than often he has small "sewing projects" for me. Well, whatever puts the sewing machine in use :-)
    As someone said, for quilting you want to get a rotary cutter, rulers and a mat.

    ReplyDelete