6.10.2014

Six: Then & Now

This past weekend, we celebrated our sixth anniversary. Say what?!


Some days it doesn't even feel possible we've been married this long. Other times - okay, most of the time - it feels like we've been married forever. Not in a bad way! In fact, once we were in our first house and settling in, it felt like we'd always been together.



So much has changed since that day. First, we moved to NC. A little over a year later, Joe enlisted in the Army. Then we moved to Georgia for a little while, then Hawaii. He deployed for a year, came back, and I got pregnant with Charlotte. Less than a year after she was born, we moved back to Georgia and I got pregnant with Millie. And in between those major life events were smaller, everyday things. Hard things, fun things, mundane things.


To some, it may seem like the last 6 years have been a breeze. While they have certainly breezed by us, they've been anything but easy some days. Some days, weeks, and months have been tough. I don't always talk about the hardest days in our marriage, because I've found that it isn't always the best idea to let other people in your marriage. There are few (very few) people I've found that I can "vent" my frustrations to, without them feeling the need to hold a grudge against Joe. Often, it's those people who tell me when I need to straighten myself out, and I need that. {<--- Wow. Did not plan on chasing that rabbit!} Suffice it to say, we've had our fair share of trouble. I'm thankful, though, that we decided 6+ years ago that our marriage would always be a priority, and the 'D'-word would never be an option. As I've told people before, it isn't always easy, but it is always worth it.



I doubt I realized the reality of the years to come on that day - the moves, deployment, babies, diapers, hormones - but I'm really glad I've had my best friend along for the crazy, crazy ride. I don't know what the next 6+ years will bring, but I'm happy to know that whatever comes our way, we'll be in it together. 



Here's to us, baby!



*Psst! Don't forget to check out my cosmetic bag + Jamberry nails giveaway!

3 comments: