9.07.2009

Love Story...

Today has been a little rough. Although, the day started off well. =) I got up, had breakfast, made cupcakes for family lunch...then I talked to Joe! =D A wonderful, 15 minute phone call. *sigh* Those are so lovely. Normally, we get the occasional 5 minute phone call. Which, if you have never experienced this, is long enough to say 'hi, how ya doing, i love you, bye.' No fun. 15 or 20 minutes is like heaven compared to 5. It's strange how I've come to cherish such things as phone calls. I went to family lunch and had a good time. It's nice to spend time with family. But, for some reason, I always go home feeling sort of empty.

So, I watched our wedding video. I haven't ever really sat
down and watched it until today. I figured that since I was lonely, it might help. I cried of course; remembering the day, how I felt walking down the aisle...and how I couldn't stand still the entire time because I was so nervous! It was definitely the best day of my life. I have never felt more certain of anything in my life. But, I remember that my brother in law had told Joe that he'd never have to say "good night" to me anymore over the phone, or drop me off at home, and go home alone. *sigh* 1 year and several months later, I'm praying for a 20 minute phone call.

Almost 3 years a
go, I went on my last first date. It was a night I'll probably never forget. He picked me up at my parents' house after he had finished something with Vocal Jazz. I'd known he might be in dress clothes, but I'd put on jeans anyway. When he rang the doorbell, my mom answered it and yelled down the hall that I should change clothes. Oh, mom. =) So, I hurriedly put on black dress pants. He was impressed that I could change so quickly. But, I've never really been high-maintenance, so I didn't pay much attention. Then, he put me in his late '90s model granny mobile (which is what I refer to it as) and off we went to dinner.

We went to downtown Fort Smith, to the Nickel and Dime Diner. It's basically a train car, turned into a restaurant. Most of the booths only seat 2 people, and it also has a small bar. Around the diner, is a small park with a carousel - very cute and quaint. But, it being October, it was too chilly to play. So, in we went for dinner. I was so nervous! I'm not sure why; we'd spent time together before, so why was this different? I honestly can't remember all we talked about. I do remember enjoying the conversation though. After dinner, we decided to go to Starbucks. On the way, there I remember talking about love, and marriage...he told me that he wanted to love his wife like Christ loves the Church. I remember thinki
ng that I would love to marry someone like that. =) Little did I know.... An amazing thing happened when we got out of the car to walk into Starbucks for coffee. He put out his hand for me to hold and, without even thinking about it for a second, I put my hand in his. It took me less than a second to notice how natural it felt to do this simple thing with him. As we walked through the parking lot, he seemed very protective - holding me back until a car passed. So cute. =)

Inside, we talked and laughed and flirted endlessly. =) After a while, we decided that we needed something else to do. There's never anything to do in Fort Smith. And, unlike any of the other guys I'd dated, he suggested we go back to my house. I was shocked. So, off we went. He stayed at our house for a little while and then we said good night - without a kiss. He didn't even seem like he expected it. Something new for me.


Little did I know that this was my last first date. I hadn't even wanted to start dating again. Not after the rough breakup I'd been through the previous summer. I had no idea that this cute, funny, crazy guy would steal my heart and become more than just a boyfriend. He became my best friend...my husband.

To think that this is only the beginning of our love story.... =)

1 comment:

  1. I think that God is the BEST Romance author ;) Our favorite authors can't compete.

    ReplyDelete