4.03.2010

Oh. My. Word.

You know, sometimes, I really worry about myself...

A few weeks ago, my bestie, Melissa  gave me her [grandma's] sewing machine.


=D I was super excited and ready to get sewing! I used to know how to sew...like when I was in middle school. How silly of me to think that I actually retained all that! So, I found a project and bought fabric. Came home and started to work, all with Melissa's help, of course. {Thank the Lord for Skype!}

Then, I tried to thread the bobbin. I tried a previously wound bobbin, and then I tried to get the machine to thread a new one. After several days of trying and failing, I gave up. Melissa and I have talked about this several times, and she insisted that I take it to a sewing machine shop and have them help me. I seriously didn't want to do that. It'd be like walking in and saying, "Hi, I'm stupid. Can you help me?!" So, I didn't. Then today, Melissa sends me this via Skype {she found it on Google or something":

the bobbin is wound in the bobbin case and there is a button on the left of the bobbin case you push to one side to wind the bobbin. The needle must be in the C position and the buttonhole controls must be set at "off" to make it work. darthval - did you get it to work?

And then I realized: there's a button on the left side of the bobbin...holy crap, could it be that!? No, it couldn't be that simple....


See that target-y looking button? That's what it was talking about. So, after I found that, I pulled out the good 'ole instruction manual. Let me just tell you right now, that I must have read this page about 9 million times while trying to figure out how to get the freakin' bobbin to do what it was supposed to. Apparently, I missed something.

Step 1: push the button down!!!!!!!!

At this point, I told Melissa: "I AM AN IDIOT!" 

How many times had I read those directions?! How many times did I miss this?! Epic, epic FAIL. 


Oh, if I'd only read them more carefully....

Needless to say, I got the bobbin to work. But the durn thing still won't sew! I don't know what on earth I'm doing wrong this time, but it's really beginning to irritate me! I just wanna make a baby blanket for a girl from church! *sigh* I'm seriously going to call my nana tomorrow or Monday...she has a similar machine, so maybe she can tell me either what I'm doing wrong or what's wrong with the machine.

But seriously...where did my brain go?! And I want it back! At least I know I'm not the only one who's going crazy. A little bit ago, I asked Joe to get me some OJ and I heard this "glug, glug" noise from the kitchen...

Me: "What was that weird noise?"

Joe: "Uh, that was your tequila."

Me: "Why were you messing with the tequila?"

Joe: *silence*

Me: "Where was the OJ?"

Joe: "Nowhere..." 

Me: "Where was the OJ?" 

Joe: "In the fridge..."

Me: "Was the OJ in the freezer??"

Joe: "Maybe..."

Me: *laughing hysterically*

Joe: "Well, it seemed like a good place for it..."

Me: *dying laughing*

Note: We keep any alcohol in the freezer. The OJ does not belong in the freezer. 

I'm not the only one around here going nuts! Woohoo! Lol!

Happy Weekend!

ImageHost.org

4 comments:

  1. this is too funny! I bought a sewing machine right before my hubby left (in September) and still haven't learned how to do the thread!! argh... lol eventually :) I guess I won't be an amazing quilter after all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We registered for a sewing machine on our wedding reg. But, so far, no dice! I desperately want to learn, but at the same time not be compelled to join 4pm sewing clubs with 90 year old women. ;)

    You have an award on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I love you and you are not a TOTAL idiot! But I swear...if Nana is no help I will drive myself to you and take the machine to one of the (((10)))) sewing places near you and let them look at it. Those "old" ladies love to see us "young" ones coming! I swear they think we are fresh meat or something...they love to help! (hugs)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow. can i say jealous? i love your vintage sewing machine! have fun. i LOVE sewing... it's crazy :)

    xoxo
    c

    ReplyDelete