1.17.2010

To Work, or Not to Work?

That is the question.

Honestly, I'm really enjoying not working right now. Ever since I quit the restaurant biz, I haven't felt inclined to work. So, as most of you know, I've been exploring my options. I have a teaching degree (in History, grades 7-12) that I haven't used as of yet. I still love history, and get excited when I talk about it or someone asks me a history question. If we got the history channel, I'd probably be glued to it. That's how big of a nerd I am. Now, I don't go around and buy up all the historical books I can find, but I do buy them occasionally. So, teaching is option #1. I loved my student teaching. Despite the fact that I was working 8 hours a day and not getting paid, plus working at the restaurant for 4 hours 5 nights a week, plus all the extra assignments my wonderful university decided it would be fun to throw on top. I connected with most of the students, I enjoyed lecturing and seeing those "aha" moments. It was great. Then came real life. And the economy. So, no teaching job.

Lately, I've been thinking about writing. Obviously, I like to write or I wouldn't be here almost every day. I didn't always like to write. It happened my junior year in high school. I had fabulous teacher {NOT my english teacher}, who really showed me what essay writing was. I suppose I had this idea that essays were supposed to be...short and get straight to the point. I had no idea you could embellish them, and use words to really prove your point. It was great. Before long, I was in love with writing. On most of the tests he gave, there was an essay portion. I always studied hardest for the essay portion because I knew that even if I bombed the multiple choice, I could do an extra essay. =) Once I got in college and into my history classes, I sort of had a love-hate relationship with my writing assignments. I loved to write them, but the extra research and citing sources just got in my way. Lol! Now, I just get random ideas for topics to write about. Not necessarily historical either. So, there's option #2: writing essays, editorials, articles, whatever.

I pretty much love scrapbooking. My bestie, Melissa, introduced me to it in college. I wasn't very good at first, but it was fun putting all that stuff together. Might I add that I never finished that first one either. I don't think I can now either...it's so much, um, worse than what I do now! I didn't do much more scrapbooking until I made one for Joe for Christmas one year while we were dating. I didn't make the next one until last Christmas for a friend. Well, I started it and gave her the stuff to finish it. She'd mentioned that she'd like to start...so I helped her! Then, I made one for our wedding. =D It turned out great, and I was officially hooked! I think I finished it in about 3 weeks, but only because I forced myself to stop working on it for a while. =) Then, I started one for my niece when we found out that my sister in law was having a girl. I'm actually still working on it, but this time, adding pictures of the first few weeks of her life and then the pregnancy journal that Anna kept. Recently, my bff's sister asked me if I could make her a scrapbook for her son...and said she'd pay me for it. Holy cow! Here's a thought: getting paid for something you absolutely love doing! So, that's option #3: making custom (or pre-made, or both) scrapbooks.

I'm glad I have options now, but I don't know what to do! Honestly, the thought of getting up at 6 a.m. (or even 5! *cringes*) does not appeal to me. I am in no way, shape, form, or fashion a morning person. Plus, dealing with all the extra junk teachers have to deal with...ugh, I'm just not so sure anymore. I still love kids [of all ages], but I'm not so sure I want to teach them anymore. In church, sure, in school...I don't know. Writing sounds great...and so does scrapbooking. So, you see my problem. I think it would be easier for me to decide (or stay home and do nothing) if we had kids. Then, my decision would pretty much be made for me. STAY HOME. But, alas, that is not the case and may not be for a while. Any thoughts? Suggestions? Advice? I'm at a loss. I'm also going to go work on Eden's scrapbook for now! =D

3 comments:

  1. Well, Stacy told me that most people who get paid to scrapbook charge by the page or by the picture...just thought I would share...I think you are a great scrapper and you are one of the best writers I now. You also know what I think about teaching...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously...why are our lives so similar all the time??? I love it! Miss you! Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, you could offer yourself out as a tutor. I know in tulsa tutors got somewhere in the ball park of 25-30 an hour (spanish speaking tutors were like 40-50 an hour). you can put your name out at the schools around you...

    offer an english or history class to homeschoolers in the area. i'm currently teaching an english class here in fs and it's doing really well. i have requests for other types of english classes as well for next semester :)

    ummm... i think that's all i have for now :) you can pre make scrapbook pages and sell them on etsy. you could also write articles for money for associatedcontent.com or suite101.com

    hope this helps!!

    xoxo,
    c

    ReplyDelete