12.02.2011

A Lot Like Christmas

Cue: "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas - Everywhere we go..."

Well, it definitely doesn't look much like Christmas in the Land of Aloha, but it is starting to look like Christmas in my house! Saturday morning, we dug the tree and decorations out of our little storage closet and got to work. With two people working to decorate it didn't really take much time at all. I'm pretty sure it took me most of the day last year. Yay for Joe being home!


Since we still haven't gotten rid of the other couch {grrr}, we opted for what turned into a Christmas corner this year. It wasn't the original plan, but it turned out nice and I think I like it a bit better than what we did last year. Besides, it's not like I have a window to put the pretty tree in front of for everyone to see when they drive by. {One day!}

This year, I chose to make us some new stockings. The ones we had before were, well, not that great. We bought some decorate-able stockings from good 'ole WalMart the first year we were married. They were cute at the time, but 3 years and some DIY lessons later I was beyond ready to trash them. So what's a crafty girl to do? Order fabric from Etsy, of course! =) I got my fabric in the day after Thanksgiving and have been working on them all week. I finally finished them this afternoon.


In case you want to make your own, I traced one of our old stockings and then used this tutorial. I had found another one, but 1) Melissa suggested this one first and 2) I ended up liking it better. I think they turned out great! I was really probably a little too shocked at how easy they were to make. The only hard part about making them was cutting out the fabric, and that was only hard because it was time consuming. And, yeah, I made one for all three of us. =) Joe's is the one on the left, mine is in the middle, and Charlotte's is the last one. I love, love, love them! I really couldn't resist making one for our baby girl. Plus, I'm sure I'll be thanking myself next year when she's 8 months old and crawling all over the house.

Stockings were hung by the...kitchen? ;-)
Oh, what I'd give for a fireplace.


A few weeks ago, I decided that I'd put some vinyl on our kitchen window to make things a bit more Christmasy upon entering our house. I had a bit of trouble with my Silhouette this afternoon {thanks to the trusty preggo brain!}, but I finally got it to spit out "Merry Christmas."


I'm planning on cutting out some silver snowflakes too. I was just too tired to deal with it by the time these were done. I'd already had a busy day and the last thing I wanted to do was fuss with my Silhouette some more. Also, this window opens from left to right. So when the window is open "Merry" will be above "Christmas." I'm hoping to be able to place the snowflakes so that they don't get all jumbled up when the window is open too. We'll see!


We also put a few Christmas lights around the other window near the door. This is one of the windows in what will soon be Miss Charlotte's room. I'd like to put lights up around the rest of the house {you know, that's ours since we live in a quadriplex}, but I don't know if that's going to happen. 


All that said, I'm loving our Christmas decorations! Have you started decorating yet? Or did you get to Christmas before Thanksgiving? ;-)

P.S. Don't forget to enter the MyMemories Digital Scrapbooking Software giveaway! It ends December 7th.

7 comments:

  1. I love, love, LOVE your stockings! Seriously gorgeous!

    We put up our tree the day after Thanksgiving, and put lights on it, but have yet to put ornaments or anything else up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! We are moving to HI in 3 weeks and I'm totally hiring you to come and decorate my house for Christmas!!! (this is if we have a house and aren't living in the hotel still)...and maybe we'll take your couch? Totally depends on the house we get!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It all looks so marvelous and Christmas-y. Love the fabric for the stockings!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! All we have is the tree. I have no idea where to put our stockings, either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just did a small Christmas table this year since we had to celebrate so early and I didn't want to take everything down within 1wk...

    ReplyDelete
  6. well I put ours up like a week before thanksgiving.. It would have been sooner but I just didnt do it. I like for christmas to last for more then a month..

    and I love the stocking.. I just might have to make me some too..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those stockings you made!! They are so cute!

    ReplyDelete