10.22.2009

Revelation ✞

So, after my blogging rant yesterday, I prayed and read the Bible....and then I had a revelation this morning at work. Sometimes God hits me with things when I least expect it.

My pastor talks a lot about relying on people too much, and that when we rely on people they usually let us down. *sigh* That is totally what I do. It's what I've always done. I always rely on the people closest to me, like Joe, for my happiness. I don't know why, I just do. When he was gone and I was unable to talk to him every day, I had to learn to rely on God because He was all I had. So, as the days went by, I found myself happy despite being totally alone here in this house. I spent my evenings writing Joe letters and reading my Bible and praying before bed. I found so much comfort in that. I still do, but I think it was easier to find that comfort when I had nothing else.

Now, I can talk to Joe every night. We can talk and text on the weekends, so I can rely on him to talk to. He makes me happy, and I like talking to him about my day and everything else going on in my life. So, when he couldn't call, I got mad at him. Because it was his fault for losing the phone and leaving me here without him to talk to. But, like my pastor says continuously, people will always let us down. Not because they're bad, but because they're simply human. Every single person on this planet makes mistakes. Not one of us here today has been, or ever will be, perfect. So why do we rely on people to make us happy, when they will never live up to our expectations? It doesn't make any sense, does it? Because, there is only one who will keep all of his promises, and never, not once let us down. And that is God. He has always been there for me, especially when I need him the most. He's never let me down. So, why do I keep thinking that a person is going to completely fulfill me?

I think God was just trying to remind me that people are just that: people, and imperfect ones at that. I know God has told me this before...sometimes I'm amazed that He still teaches me even though I'm seriously stubborn. I don't deserve anything He's ever given me, but I suppose that is the beauty of grace, right? =) And thank God for it, because I would not do well on my own.

*This is the chorus of "Revelation" by Third Day. Love their stuff!*

Give me a revelation,
Show me what to do
Cause I’ve been tryin’ to find my way,
I haven’t got a clue
Tell me should I stay here,
Or do I need to move
Give me a revelation
I’ve got nothing without You
I’ve got nothing without You

1 comment:

  1. I knew there would be a lesson I just didn't know what it was yet. I am glad you are learning and God is showing you even though it is tough sometimes. You know I am here and praying right along with you. :)

    ReplyDelete